According to Russel Rosenberg, Ph.D, CEO, National Sleep Foundation- There are some substances that are “Sleep promoters” while others are “Sleep Stealers”.
Include these in your night meals for a healthy sleep-
- Cherries- Cherries are a source of Melatonin which keeps check of your sleeping cycle.
- Bananas- Bananas can be your best enablers for sleep as they contain magnesium, potassium and a lot of carbohydrates ofcourse.
- Milk- Milk is a must-take before sleep as it contains the amino acid tryptophan, that stimulates brain chemical serotonin.
- Jasmine rice- Having a bowl of Jasmine Rice may make you fall asleep faster due to its high glycemic index, which makes it digest slowly and release carbs slowly in your bloodstream.
- Cereal- Cereal has complex carbohydrates which facilitate sleeping.
- Sweet potato – It contains carbs and potassium that enable sound sleep.
- Herbal tea- Valerian tea with other herbs like motherwort, chamomile, and catnip brews that lack caffeine can give you a good night’s sleep.
Invite Insomnia by taking these-
- Dark Chocolate- Along with a lot of calories,dark chocolates are also stuffed with caffeine which makes sleeping difficult. Also, it contains Theobromine, that increases heart rate and sleeplessness.
- Coffee- High caffeine content in coffee keeps you awake till late because it stimulates your Central Nervous System.
- Chicken- High- Protein diets like chicken can hinder your sleep as digestion slows down drastically while you’re sleeping.
- Alcohol- Any kind of alcohol makes you wake up several times in the middle of the night and also facilitates snoring loud.
- Red Bull- Another sleep-foe is red bull, for its high caffeine content.
- Soft Drinks- Along with caffiene they have chemicals that can exasperate the gastrointestinal tract and lead to acidity which can cause an unpleasant night.
So the choice is yours, make a good one!
Summarised up to 65% from – Best and worst foods for sleep
Read more –